After two and a half months of poking, prodding, generating reams of test PDF bills and reports, writing, rewriting, link-checking, image editing, checking topics for consistency, rewriting again, deciding that my organizational scheme was unworkable and shuffling things around, and rewriting JUST ONE MORE TIME, the first stage of my help file is finished. I’ve been busy at work, but this is the first tangible thing I can point at and say, “See? This is what I’ve been doing.” I’m a little ahead of the schedule I had set for myself; work today is relaxed, and in between helping a salesman with some testing I’m in a place of re-evaluating, setting priorities, and deciding what to do next. It felt goooood to check that one off the to-do list. 🙂
1) The person who was supposed to take me on an initial walkthrough for the software called in sick, so I was sort of left to poke around it on my own. It was still a rewarding day.
2) So far I like the folks I’m working with, the shorter commute, and especially the fact that I’ll be given the time needed to do this manual up right. If they’d wanted it done slapdash, they could have been randomly updating their documentation the whole time.
3) The software I’m working with is called Trash Flow, in case any of you want to download the demo for a fantasy garbage hauling business league. It was originally a DOS program and it shows in some of the layout, but it certainly covers a lot of aspects of that industry.
4) Something I wasn’t expecting, but is kinda cool: the main outlet for my documentation will be a Microsoft Help file, so I got to teach myself how to create a .chm file today. It’s dead easy.